BUILDing SCHOLARS UTEP Summer Research Program
May 31st — August 7th, 2022
Applications accepted from November, 08th, 2021 – February 28th, 2022
Gain invaluable biomedical research experience. Collaborate with health research experts. Get paid. Have fun!
This exciting program matches students from BUILDing SCHOLARS Pipeline Partner institutions with UTEP faculty to conduct a full-time 10-week summer research project based on mutual research interests and mentor availability.
Students receive one-on-one guidance from faculty mentors on a cutting-edge biomedical research project in one of seven research nodes: addiction, cancer, degenerative and chronic diseases, environmental health, health disparities, infectious diseases and translational biomedicine.
Examples of faculty-mentored research projects include:
- Degenerative and Chronic Diseases
- Environmental Health
- Health Disparities
- Infectious Diseases
- Translational Biomedicine
Students also become part of a formal mentoring program to provide students with a faculty mentor who fits their unique research interests and skills.
All research will be conducted at UTEP.
A notarized Affidavit of U.S. Citizenship or Permanent Residency Form (link to form) will be required to complete your application. For the list of acceptable documents visit http://www.tn.gov/safety/article/dlcitizen to complete application. Please note that you will upload this document to complete application. If selected you will be required to present the original Affidavit of U.S. Citizenship or Permanent Residency form.
- Must be 18 years or older by the time the program starts.
- The student must be finishing his/her freshman or sophomore year in May 2022. Those students finishing their junior or senior year in May 2022 are not eligible to apply.
- U.S. citizen or permanent legal resident.
- The program is open to students from a variety of majors including:
- Behavioral sciences
- Social sciences
- Life sciences
- Physical sciences
- Clinical sciences
- Stipend, Housing & Travel to UTEP
- $5,000 in wages for research work.
- Housing at on-campus apartments if not currently residing in El Paso, TX.
- Up to $400 in travel expenses for travel to and from El Paso, TX if not currently residing in El Paso.
- Competitive Travel Award Program
- Students can apply for a minimum of $600 to cover travel costs in order to present their research at a regional or national academic conference during the academic year.
- Research Supply Money
- Up to $1,000 in research supply money is awarded to each student’s research mentor so that he/she can provide the student with the supplies needed to complete the project.
- Become a member of a productive research team.
- Receive one-on-one guidance from faculty mentors on a cutting-edge biomedical research project in one of seven research nodes.
- Become part of a formal mentoring program, through an online mentoring platform, which includes an innovative online profile-based mentor matching protocol designed to provide students with a faculty mentor who fits their unique research interests and skills.
- Receive mentee training to help develop the skills needed to grow as a researcher.
- Complete a weeklong “Foundations of Research Course” (zero-credit) before their research project begins.
- Attend professional development workshops designed to help the student grow as a scholar and be competitive for graduate school admission
- Are pre-accepted, based on satisfactory performance during their first summer at UTEP, to return to the program for a second summer at UTEP with the same mentor or another mentor (depending on preferences) or to one of several programs at a research partner institution.
- Become part of the prestigious NIH-funded BUILDing SCHOLARS Center, which is transforming biomedical research capacity in the U.S. Southwest.
- Network with peers and faculty mentor through this cohort of approximately 40 students from Texas, New Mexico and Arizona.
- The program runs from May 31st — August 7th, 2022 (10 weeks). Students must be available for this entire 10-week period.
- Applications are due February 28th, 2022. The online application system will open by November 08th, 2021.
- In early March of 2022, students will be notified about their acceptance.
- By the end of March 2022, students will be matched with their faculty mentors.